Can you guess my ethnicity?


My whole life I've dealt with strangers and so-called friends inquiring about my heritage. I've heard everything from black, to white, to hispanic, to indian, to native american, to brazilian and almost everything in between.
I enjoy hearing peoples comments now, unlike when I was a young girl. I couldn't stand being stopped by random strangers. They would stare into my eyes and say, "Are you wearing contacts?" "Where are you from?". I once had a woman reach out and try to touch my eye...she couldn't believe the color (i guess).
But when I was younger my so-called friends were mean about it. They would make fun of me. They made me feel very self conscience. Even my half brother made me question myself.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"????!!!! That's crap! My grandmother was sure that was my cure all though.
I went through several identity crises. I was trying to find my place in society. I wanted to be accepted. I hated being different. But there was nothing I could do to blend in. Someone was always saying something.
Now that I'm older (and perhaps a little wiser) it doesn't bother me as much. It still takes me by surprise when the person behind me in the grocery store comments on my hair or my eyes. But I'm flattered all the same.
I've found my place in society. It's my own little Racial Background Check Box on the government documents and job applications. "OTHER". I am the OTHER. I refuse to say I'm one race, when I'm in fact made up of many. To choose one race means I must deny the other and I won't do that.
I'm happy now. I'm me.

10 comments:

  underOvr (aka The U)

November 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Hi Ann,

I'm so glad you have found peace with who you are. Were you my daughter, I would have told you, "You are unique, beautiful, and there is no one else like you". Childhood can be a struggle as we journey towards our identity. In spite of the obstacles you faced, you found out who Ann is; that's all that really matters now.

I'm both happy and proud for you. Thank you for letting me see another part of Ann.

Please don't stop on your children's book, it sounds like a wonderful concept.

U

  Stacy Lee

November 10, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I know many people who use the "other" box; not just in matters of ethnicity either. It's a good option to have. Your post was very honest. Thank you for being my FIRST follower! :)

  Roxy's Real Estate News

November 10, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Hi Ann,
I would have to agree with U, because everyone is unique no matter their race or their conbination of races. We are all gods children. I am glad you have grown confortable with yourself and can be the wonderful person I am sure you are. Love yourself and other will too!
OH I need a follower- I have noone
I probably don't have the most exciting blog but I am working on it. I'll follow your blog - please visit my blog www.realestatenews-roxy.blogspot and tell me what you think.

  Anonymous

November 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Your story effected me, even though I didn't suffer the same humiliation as a child, any time your made fun of, for whatever reason leaves you with a negative feeling.Family and Friends made fun of me because at the age of 18, I was so thin,(98 lbs, 5'4' tall) and had no breast. My sister use to get together with her friends and make fun of me. They use to call my chest, egg yokes. I couldn't change how God created me but I grew up hating how I looked. I wouldn't look in the mirror ever, I hated myself that much. But the time came when the ugly duckling turned into a beautiful swan. I had a baby and after, my body became very shapely and my breast grew to a size 38 B.For the first time I loved to look in the mirror. Can you visit my blog at www.grandmalovesme@blogspot.com and let me know what you think of my true life story. God Bless Patty

  Ann

November 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM

hi patricia...i hope you check back on my blog. i tried to post a comment on yours, but i was having a hard time. thank you for your comment. btw...i'm inspired by you! you've shown me that life can change and be better no matter how old you are. keep on doing what your doing. your crafts are adorable!
Ann

  Michael Horvath

November 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I would rather be unique than like everyone else. And I bet you have the best of each of the backgrounds you come from.

  Anonymous

November 13, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Ann,
this was a great post. it made me think about my own childhood and how I used to get teased for being "fat." it's an awful experience and it does make you extremely self-conscience. it takes a lot of strength to overcome the past and to be able to accept yourself for who you are, no matter what.
I believe that it's good to stand out. I would hate to look exactly like everyone else. our unique characteristics are what make us beautiful, inside and out.
I've learned to never focus on the negative. if you start to realize what a great person you are, you become so much happier.

  Ann

November 17, 2008 at 9:50 PM

thank you everyone! i've read each of your comments and am comforted to know that some of you have had similar experiences. i have dealt with this my whole life. i've overcome the negativity and have learned to be happy with myself. may we all find happiness within, regardless of our color, size or shape. we are all beautifully and fearfully made...blessings
Ann

  Toivoa ja Elämän

November 18, 2008 at 9:28 PM

heyy
thanks for your comment on my blog
ehh my other blog is just personal stuff, give me your email address if you want to read it? (:
i haven't actually read this post, i'm at school and agh

  Anonymous

December 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM

you are a human being as we all are.
and to be more specific..you are a female human being..

:)